Genomic analysis of model organisms frequently requires the use of databases based on human data or making comparisons to patient-derived resources. This requires harmonization of gene names into the same gene space. The babelgene R package helps to simplify the conversion process. It provides gene orthologs/homologs:
- for multiple frequently studied model organisms, such as mouse, rat, fly, and zebrafish
- sourced from multiple databases
- as gene symbols, NCBI Entrez, and Ensembl IDs
- without accessing external resources and requiring an active internet connection
- in an R-friendly “tidy” format with one gene pair per row
Check the documentation website for more information.